The Sonoma County Winegrowers are proud to recognize Ponciano Ramirez of Vimark Vineyards for winning first place honors at the 17th Annual Sonoma County Pruning Championship held on Friday, February 12 at Shone Farms, a certified sustainable vineyard owned by the Santa Rosa Junior College. More than 160 grape growers, wine industry representatives, community members, media, and others were on hand to cheer on the winners.
There were 50 talented pruners in the competition from throughout Sonoma County’s 17 AVA’s and regions. All of them showed their incredible skills and talent of pruning vines with speed, precision, and accuracy. Nothing is more significant than the craft of vine pruning that sets the stage for quality wine grapes every vintage and we’re proud of our vineyard employee’s dedication and hard work.
Here is a list of the top 8 finishers:
- 1st Place, Winner: Ponciano Ramirez, Vimark Vineyards
- 2nd Place: Jesus Ramirez, Vinedresser Vineyard Management
- 3rd Place: Gustavo Rico A., Seghesio Family Vineyard
- 4th Place: Eliazar Herrera Castillo, La Crema Winery
- 5th Place: Samuel Campos, Vimark Vineyards
- 6th Place: Jose A. Vasquez, Stonestreet Winery
- 7th Place: Joaquin Andrade Vazquez, Sonoma Cutrer
- 8th Place: Jorge Luis Leon Garfia, Sunbreak Vineyard Services
These top 8 finishers received a combined $2,450 in prize money, plus special gift baskets.