Each winter, Sonoma County Winegrowers organizes the annual Sonoma County Pruning Championship. This historic competition recognizes and celebrates the valuable skills and expertise of our agricultural workforce. The Sonoma County Pruning Championship attracts more than 30 participants, 100 attendees and is widely covered by both Spanish and English media outlets, and is free of cost to participants and grower attendees.
2018 Pruning Championship Event Details
Participant check-in at the vineyard begins at 8:00 am. Announcements and Pruning Contest begin at 9:00 am. Lunch will follow the contest.
- When: Friday, February 16, 2018 from 8:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Where: SRJC Shone Farm, 7450 Steve Olson Ln, Forestville, CA 95436, Syrah Block
Rules & Application Form
Please read the rules carefully, then complete the application form linked below.
• Register to compete no later than Friday, February 9th (application form on page 2).
• The Sonoma County Pruning Championship is a stand-alone event, not connected to any regional/AVA pruning contest.
• Due to the coordination of the event, walk-ins will not be accepted.
• The competition is open to vineyard management companies based in Sonoma County and vineyard or winery entities who own vineyards in Sonoma County (all District 3).
• The number of contestants (pruners) will be limited to 60 total. Get your applications in early!
• Two contestants (pruners) per vineyard or winery entity or vineyard management company.
• There will be pre-assigned heats and rows with the top two contestants (pruners) from each heat advancing to the final heat.
• Three vines per pruner in the heats and five vines per pruner for the final heat.
• Large cash prizes and other great prizes! Lunch will be served with Sonoma County wines!
• Please arrive no later than 8:45 am to check-in. If you are late, please call and notify Barbara Petersen at (707) 494-4450.
• Access to the vineyard rows will be restricted during all pruning and judging. There will be demonstration vines for contestant viewing.
• No dogs are allowed on SRJC Shone Farm property!
• In case of rain or extreme weather, the contest will be postponed to February 23rd, then, March 2nd. Call SCW to verify at (707) 522-5864. Pruners not able to make the new date can be replaced by co-workers or new contestants, and a new application with pruner signature is required in advance.
Please download and complete the 2018 Pruning Championship Flyer and Application.