Regulatory Issues

Regulatory issues workshop

There is no shortage of local, county, state and federal regulatory mandates on vineyards and grape growing. The Sonoma County Winegrape Commission has access to information needed by growers to stay in compliance. This information will be updated as needed or when new information is added.

As part of any vineyard replant or new development project, a Sonoma County Biological Assessment is now required. It is recommended to contact several biologists for a quote and initial evaluation of the property before engaging their service. The Biological Assessment only needs to be turned in with your permit if additional setbacks beyond the scope of VESCO are recommended by the biologist and/or if your property has wetlands.

Grower questions regarding the process may be directed to Andy Casarez of the Sonoma County Agricultural Commissioner’s office: 707-331-3056 or [email protected]. Or contact the Sonoma County Winegrape Commission.

Regulatory Compliances

Vineyard Planning And Development


Any zoning questions should be directed to the County Permit & Resource Management Department at (707) 565-1900.

Vineyard Development

Development of any vineyard now requires registration with the Agricultural Commissioner’s Office. For further information, call (707) 565-2371.

Vineyard Planting in Sonoma County

UC Cooperative Extension

The Santa Rosa office can furnish advice and offer free and priced publications such as “Sample Costs to Develop and Produce a Vineyard in Sonoma County,” “Rootstocks and Phylloxera,” a list of nearby commercial laboratories, and a raft of many other UC publications in the agricultural field. The office is located at 133 Aviation Blvd., Suite 109, Santa Rosa. The phone number is (707) 565-2621.

Santa Rosa Junior College

There are excellent viticulture and enology courses at SRJC. For more information, phone the Agriculture Department at (707) 527-4408.

Farm Construction

There is a special fast-track approval permit process to build barns, other farm buildings and farm workers’ housing units, if you qualify. Contact the County Permit & Resource Management Department at (707) 565-1900.

Ponds, etc.

Grading permits must be obtained from the County Permit & Resource Management Department at (707) 565-1900.

Grading and/or Encroachment Permits

Where grading and/or encroachment permits are required for vineyard access roads, contact also the County Permit & Resource Management Department at (707) 565-1900. (Proposed roads within a vineyard may require a grading permit and proposed vineyard roads that access a county road will require an encroachment permit.)

Tree Removal

If oak tree removal is planned, contact Permit & Resource Management Department at (707) 565-1900. For permits for any other tree removal for a commercial venture (i.e. a vineyard), contact the California Department of Forestry at (707) 576-2275.

Fish and Game

Many activities along streams and rivers and other habitat areas are now controlled by the California Department of Fish and Game. For information, call (707) 944-5500.

Wetlands and Stream Alteration

Contact the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jane Hicks, at (415) 977-8439, for clarification of wetlands designation and to do any stream alterations, including bridges or bank slope protection.

Erosion Control and Water Quality

The State Water Quality Control Board through its North Coast Region office at (707) 576-2220 also handles issues of erosion control, water quality and pollution.