Pinot Noir Bulk Wine for Sale 2019 vintage, two lots:
- Wine Lot #16: 722 Gallons, Clone: #115, Zone 3, Harvested: 9/23/19, Brix: 24, holding in 12 neutral Oak
Barrels, as of 12/31/19: ML: completed, pH 3.7, T.A.: 6.7
- Wine Lot #23: 1003 Gallons, Clone: #115/667 blend, Zone 3, Harvested 9/24/19, Brix: 25, holding in 17 neutral Oak Barrels, as of 12/31/19: ML: completed, pH 3.6, T.A.: 7.4
- Produced by Winemaker Robert Rex at “Deerfield Ranch Winery”
- Cleanly sorted, whole berry fermented on Burgundian yeast, finishing in the barrels
and currently under bantonnage.
- Vineyard Designatable wine from “Ken’s Vineyard”
- Appellation (Double): Sonoma Coastal / Carneros
- Physical address: Southern Sonoma.
- Grapes: Pinot Noir, clones 667 & 115, planted in 2000.
- Samples available by appointment. Contact: Robert Rex, Winemaker, Deerfield Ranch Winery LLC; [email protected], c (707) 332-5494
My “Ken Larson Vineyard” Story:
One crisp clear morning in July of 1999, my neighbor, Angelo Sangiacomo, and I sat on a dirt pile overlooking our two properties. We talked about vineyard ownership, soils, nutrients, drainage, tractors, and many other subjects that made a contribution to the final goal, of the finest grape to go into a bottle of wine. After our almost two hour visit, I made the decision to plant a vineyard.
In August, I went out on my property with my backhoe and dug many big deep holes, as instructed by my Soils Analyst to take samples back to the lab for evaluation. In late September, the recommended amendments were added, and the entire vineyard area was cross plowed down to six feet deep, as the ground shook, and the giant Caterpillar snorted, my grass field was covert to a landscape that looked like the Moon. The soil remained open to breath throughout the next winter, as recommended by the Soils Report.
That winter, I consulted with Stefan Daniels from Duarte Nursery for a rootstock and clone recommendation. 7,500 plants where ordered, and in the spring of 2000, my “Moonscape” was transformed into a beautiful young vineyard with a gentle rolling hill across the middle of the property.
Since then my grapes have found their way into such Pinot Noirs, as a Vineyard Designate by Carol Shelton, Flowers Winery, Domaine Chandon Wines, BR Cohn winery, and a few others.
Kenneth W. Larson – “Ken Larson Vineyards”
Grower / Owner (no affiliation with “Larson Family Winery”)
- Name: Robert Rex, Winemaker, Deerfield Ranch Winery
- Phone: (707) 332-5494
- Email: [email protected],
Topolos Vineyard Management LLC
Willing to sell to home winemakers:
- Sustainability in Practice (SIP)